hello, it's me

Does anyone even blog these days?  Read blogs?   I mean, it was a thing.   A real thing and everybody had a blog.   I had a blog.   I guess I still have a blog.   This thing is a blog.  While we're on the subject, blog is such a weird word.   What does it even mean?  Who came up with it?

I get derailed sometimes.  Sorry.   Or not sorry.   I've been thinking about blogs and decided they died with the popularity of Fbook.   Remember when you had to have a college address to get a fb account?   Now our parents are on fb.   My childhood babysitter is on fb.  And when I get fed up with fb as a platform and the way it can feel like "everybody look at me", I check myself and post pictures of the kids because the grandparents live in different states.   I know those pictures are part of the reason they joined fb in the first place.   As much as I would describe my relationship with fb as love/hate, the truth is it's not a platform for writing.   As wonderful (or horrible) as it is, it's just not what it's designed for.

So, what's a former English major to do?   Write letters?   Check.  Sometimes.   Journal?   Never happens.   Make up poems on walks and completely forget them by the time I can write them down?   Check.   So this blog keeps coming to mind.   It still exists.   I did have to check.   I haven't written in over 4 years!   4.   Pretty sure the last two or three posts start with some lame I haven't blogged in forever and are you even still there....    

Here's to something new.  Something I hope to do this week, this month, this year.   Write.  Publish.  Make lots of spelling and grammatical errors and feel like an idiot when I discover them.   Be content with having approximately 3.5 readers.   Record memories for myself and maybe for my children.  I have things to say and I'm going to say them.   I don't think for one minute that they will be profound or wise or even entertaining.  And you don't have to listen/read if you don't want to.
But I secretly hope that 3.5 of you will.

Best,
Steph

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monster Child

What would Ma Ingalls do?