Little man is 3

I've postponed and avoided doing anything like one does in the evening by putting my kids in their room, tucking them in 3 to 4 times, and hoping on the computer to stalk Facebook and surf Pinterest and look at the emails I haven't done anything with and then plumb run out of steam to waste time.   Is that even possible?

Today, the smallest one, my baby, my boy turned 3.  It was a lovely birthday from my perspective and the truth is that it doesn't take much to make him happy.

It made me think I should celebrate this milestone with words.   It reminded me that I was going to write down his birth story, but I never did.  Three years later.   It reminds me that as he potty trains and grows more independent that it's getting easier.  My life is not as full of tending to really small children as it has been for the last five years or so.    I feel like I could handle another baby.   But there are no plans for another baby.   He is my baby.  Which makes me realize, "He's three!"  What?   Can't be.  Where is my baby?  I ask him and he laughs.  "I'm not a baby, I'm a boy!"

I didn't think I wanted a boy.  But I realized that God had a reason for giving me a boy.  And now I can't imagine life without a boy.  But not any boy.  This boy.

Little Scout, well, he's still little.  And you could still call him a toddler, but he's on the verge.  Mr Athletic is full of energy, loves to run, climb and do anything and everything that involves a ball.   Basketball is his favorite currently.  Although baseball or soccer will do in a pinch.

Suddenly his favorite color is blue.  He loves blue and wants everything blue.  There is no such thing as too much blue.
He still loves blueberries.   And fruit in general.  But the boy loves strawberries and blueberries unapologetically 
Spiderman is his favorite.  Even though he has very little video/movie/TV knowledge of Spiderman.
He slings webs and loves to overcoming shyness by doing a Spiderman pose.   All of the kids at Sage's Y care class know him a Spiderman - and they adore him.   How could you not?

The boy is picky when it comes to food and is not the foody that Sage is.  He loves pasta more than life.  Rice is also favored, most of the time.

He loves popular pop songs and will sing along at the top of his voice.  The boy has always loved music and still does.

His double toe is still doubled at the end.  Both toenails still grow.  So far shoes haven't been a problem, but then we are Nike, Keen, Crocs fans, so that may be why.

He loves to watch SuperWhy, Cat in the Hat, and Curious George on PBS.   He also loves Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, although we often don't catch it on the TV.     He knows the sounds the letters make and is starting the sound out short words with help from Dad and Sage.   Tonight they sounded out cat, rat, hat and bat.   The boy is too smart for his own good.

He also doesn't seem to need as much sleep as Sage.  Or maybe it's when he sleeps.  The boy seems to be a bit of a night owl, preferring to stay up and sleep in if possible.    Sage tended to be one of those up at 6 on the dot kind of kids (although not now exactly) and Scout is not at all.    We have to limit his daytime naps to two hours in order to make sure he'll go to sleep by 10pm.   Better are the days with no nap at all that allow him to crash at a normal toddler hour.  However, those days are painful, giving proof that he really does need a nap.

He is a loving boy, who cares for his friends.   Today I was told by two Kids Kingdom workers that it's amazing how much Sage and Scout love each other.   It's true.  He loves his sister and misses her when she's at school.   His BF is Caleb, whom he can never get enough of.  We love Caleb's parents so, and we feel the same, so it's not hard to want to spend time together when we can manage it.
Scout is amazingly sweet and I can't imagine life without him.  He truly is a gift from God.   And I am thankful that God gave me what I needed.

Much love to my little man,
Mommy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monster Child

What would Ma Ingalls do?